Monday, June 02, 2008

Kölner Dom

I got a day off today, so I went down to the Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral), and took a few pictures.

This is part of the entrance.

This is just inside.


Another part inside, looking up.


I climbed to the top of the tower and took a couple pictures from the top. This is one of the smaller towers on the Dom with the Rhein in the background.


Looking another direction.


Another note: Up on the one of the towers, there is a bas-relief of an angel holding a chicken. Because everyone's heard of Michael the Archangel and his pet chicken. I couldn't get a good enough angle on it to get a picture, but I thought it was pretty funny.

3 comments:

Thany said...

I read somewhere that Archangel Michael never visited you without bringing dinner as well. He is the Angel of Manners and Politeness, hence, the chicken. It all makes sense if you think about it.

jaime said...

We've been there! I love that! I must say, we also "stole" a picture of "The Thinker" through the fence of a museum in Paris. Good times, good times.
J&J

The Happy Glad Creek Gang said...

Andy, some thing you need to know, is the fact that the now existing city of Cologne only has the same name and geograhpical position in common with the original city of Cologne - thanks to arduous attempts of American and British Warlords to erase the city from the German map (in which they practically succeeded after more than 250 attacks): http://www.anicursor.com/colpicwar.html